“I’ve been out of work for some time now. The theatre side has really sharpened my skills, getting back into regular work pattern, being with people – feels like that’s going to make a big difference”
We offer real hands-on volunteering, placement and work experience opportunities on all our projects.
Every year students, new graduates and community members give us their time and gain real experience of working in a professional theatre environment.
Our volunteer interviews are followed by an induction session where our policies and expectations are shared. All our volunteers are supported by a core staff member.
Current Placement & Volunteer Opportunities
Our placement and volunteer opportunities offer the chance to be part of a youth theatre creative team and work alongside professional directors, designers, and stage managers.
Volunteers must be aged 18 or over.
To find out more, click on the links below:
LYT supports work experience placements for young people who are current members. We believe young people who already participate in the youth theatre projects are able to develop their skills through work experience.
A member can request to undertake their placement with us. Each year there is a high demand for work experience placements. If the timescale enables the young person to have a varied work program we will endeavour to offer them the placement.
Council of Management (Board Members)
Do you have skills and experience that may help Lewisham Youth Theatre to grow and thrive? Do you want to be involved with a charity making a difference in the Lewisham community?
Consider joining LYT’s Council of Management, our voluntary board who provide strategic management for the organisation.
NEW: SEEKING GRADUATE TRUSTEES AGED 18-26
We are seeking two LYT members or former members aged 18-26 to help us continue to provide a quality service for Lewisham young people. With your experience of taking part in LYT, you will bring to the role your skills, understanding of the needs of local young people and passion for supporting the wellbeing and life chances of young people in the local community.
Find out more: Read the Role Description.
You can also text/call Victoria on 07375 940 551 to set up an informal chat to find out more.
Apply: Complete the Application form and email it to us by 1st June
What Skills & Experience is LYT Looking For?
As well as Graduate Trustees, LYT is seeking trustees of any age to help drive the vision of the charity and provide strategic leadership to the organisation. We are particularly looking for trustees with experience Educational Leadership, Organisation Management Development and Digital marketing or broadcasting. We expect all candidates to have a belief in the power of the arts to make a difference in the lives of young people.
What is expected of Trustees?
Trustees are expected to:
- Attend 4 x quarterly Council of Management meetings per year, weekdays 7pm -9pm, and an annual Saturday away-day (usually in June)
- Attend the Annual General Meeting (usually in October)
- Attend performances and special events produced by the company
- Prepare for meetings by reviewing papers and having an up-to-date understanding of the issues facing the organisation
- Support the executive team through informed questioning and oversight to ensure the company’s legal responsibilities and strategic objectives are achieved
- Advise the charity on issues arising, particularly within your area of specialism
- Promote the organisation’s work through your networks and positively represent the organisation at all times
- Support the organisation’s fundraising through introductions, promotion and fundraising events
- Although there is no expectation that trustees will make a personal financial contribution to the charity, the Council of Management as a whole has an annual fundraising target laid out in the Strategic Plan.
More information on being a Trustee, including legal responsibilities, can be found in this Information Pack.
How Do I Apply for a Trustee Position?
Please email your CV and a short covering letter/email detailing why you’d like to join LYT’s Council of Management.
We are particularly interested in hearing about:
- Your connection to LYT’s work, whether this is a local connection or a connection to youth arts more broadly;
- Why you are passionate about the work LYT does;
- How your skills/experience could support LYT’s work and our strategic development
For an informal chat about the role, please email Victoria or call on 07375 940 551.
SAFER RECRUITMENT: All voluntary roles with Lewisham Youth Theatre involve contact with children and young people. These roles are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and all subsequent amendements (England and Wales). Any successful applicants over the age of 18 will be required to obtain a DBS disclosure at the appropriate level.
You can find out more about how we make sure that all those who work or volunteer for LYT contribute to keeping children and young people safe by reading our Policies.