If you live or learn in the London Borough of Lewisham, are aged between 8-24, attend no other after school drama provision and want to find out more about theatre and performing – both onstage and backstage, then Lewisham Youth Theatre could have a project for you.
OUR CURRENT PROGRAMMES
From October 2020, we’ll begin to trial how we can deliver smaller socially-distanced in-person sessions, as well as blended sessions where people can join online if they can’t attend in person. We’re currently working with our Members’ Committee and delivering outreach projects with partner organisations.
You can find out more about how we risk assess our work and keep participants safe on our policy page.
Autumn Term Open Projects:
- Technical Theatre Workshop Project (for years 7-8)
Starting in January 2021:
We’re planning to run projects for all of our youth theatre age groups from January. Watch this space for more information.
If you’d like to hear more about these project, make sure we have your details by filling in a New Enquiry Form. We’ll be in touch when we’re recruiting for a project in your age group. Return forms by Email or telephone Charlie for more information: 07435 969 157
Learn more about how we recruit for and allocate places on projects: download our Project Recruitment Strategy
REFERRALS TO LYT PROJECTS
What We Offer: We provide additional support to children and young people in need who are referred to our projects. Support includes:
- one-to-one meetings with participants and parents/carers/workers to help young people access our activities,
- ongoing individualised support throughout the project
- bursaries for additional theatre trips/opportunities.
Referral Criteria: We accept referrals of children and young people aged 8-24 who are ‘in need’ and could use additional support to engage in our projects.
LYT defines participants ‘in need’ as:
- Coming from families in receipt of means-tested benefits;
- Having a disability, special or mental health need (including a processing/learning difficulty, autism spectrum disorder or high anxiety);
- Coming from disrupted families (including looked-after children, young carers, those known to social services or bereaved young people);
- Facing marginalisation or requiring additional support to take part (including those with English as an additional language; young immigrants, young people who have been or at risk of exclusion)
In order to take part, young people must:
- Want to engage in drama or technical theatre sessions
- Live or learn in Lewisham
- Attend no other after school drama group
- Be able to work in a group without one-to-one support
- Priority is given to those in state/free schools, academies or home schooling
We ask young people to be keen to take part and to commit to the full project. We do not offer drop-in sessions.
How to Refer: If you work with a Lewisham young person who could benefit from LYT’s projects, please complete a Referral Form and return it to Amy Lewis. LYT staff will contact you to discuss the best way to support the young person to access LYT’s projects.