Over the year I have seen a complete transformation in [NEET young people referred to LYT]. I can proudly say they are in education due to LYT’s positive involvement with them.”
LYT is proud to be a key provider of free after-school and weekend drama provision in the London Borough of Lewisham.
We use theatre as a mechanism for change in the lives of the young people we work with. All our projects build life skills, develop communication and literacy skills and support gifted and talented young people. We work with a wide range of partners to ensure our projects reach those most in need of our services.
We work with partners in youth social/health services and voluntary organisations to help young people who could benefit from our services access our projects.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Dedicated places on our projects for referrals of young people most in need
- Free taster sessions or meeting with young people in your setting
- Posters and flyers to give to your clients about our activities
We also work with partners to deliver special outreach projects with your client group. For instance, we run an annual drama project at Kaleidoscope and support participants to access further opportunities with LYT once this ends.
For a list of our current partners, visit here.
HOW TO REFER PARTICIPANTS
We provide additional support to children and young people in need who are referred to our projects. Support includes:
- one-to-one meetings with participants and parents/carers/workers to help young people access our activities,
- ongoing individualised support throughout the project
- bursaries for additional theatre trips/opportunities.
LYT defines participants in need as:
- Coming from families in receipt of means-tested benefits;
- Having a disability or special need (including a processing/learning difficulty or autism spectrum disorder);
- Facing marginalisation or requiring additional support to take part (including looked-after children, young carers, those with mental health difficulties, those with English as an additional language; and those with low literacy/numeracy)
If you work with a young person who lives or learns in Lewisham and who could benefit from LYT’s projects, please complete a Referral Form and return it to Sheryl Malcolm, Programmes Manager for Participation.
FIND OUT MORE
Find out when our current programmes our running: download our 2018/19 Programme Year Timetable
Learn more about how we recruit for and allocate places on projects: download our Project Recruitment Strategy
LYT’s Outreach activities are currently supported by the Mayor of London’s Young Londoners’ Fund and BBC Children in Need.